Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Exercise 1 - Revised!



Sorry for not realizing I was not doing departments earlier, I revised my exercise using the correct content!

Also after looking at the feedback I got for the first one I posted, I tried adjusting things a little, and changing my target audience. Since I absolutely want to use a lot of color in my magazine, I decided I am shifting my target audience to high school kids. Any grade under high school seems too young for the reading, and I feel like high school students would like to learn this information. College students could be interested, I'm a little on the fence on who would be more suited still..

I changed around the font for the body copy of the page like suggested, and I think it makes the reading more legible. Body copy in black is always easier to read, but I feel like now that I toned down the colors, it does not cause any readability problems and really compliments the images I chose.

Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Carissa - yep, these look more like Departments now. Good. Now, talking to high school students is a colorful, bold, and challenging audience. They aren’t quite adults, and they aren’t quite children. So a careful approach that includes photos of this audience engaging with the subject matter, some humor and cleverness, and lots of color is a good approach. I see cleverness with the bottom left of the blue box around the headline on your 4 column grid (last one). That technique reminds me of a callout from a cartoon bubble - when someone speaks. Clever - and something this audience will relate to. Allow yourself to use callouts (like arrows, connecting lines, etc) to establish the visual hierarchy of the page in a fun way. The colored body copy is also clever. I suggest you decide which grid serves your purpose best and then: develop a department title; cut some type so that 2 articles can sit on this page (even if the second article runs off to be continued); incorporate photos of the audience; add folio and running feet or head with the name of the magazine and/or the theme of the issue. Looking forward to seeing what you create next week.

    ReplyDelete