Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Carissa Colclough - Exercise 1

A
 

B

C     

My target audience is young adults, age range 20-30s. To be more specific, I am targeting young adults who think a little more out of the box and enjoy a fun, but informative read. My audience will be an outgoing bunch who wishes to stay "healthy and safe"; they wish to know what foods are going to help them stay fit, and also what foods to stray away from that could harm the body. In an essence, "health nuts".

I am using inviting, large font for the headlines, hoping to reel them in at one glance. I also am using images that would entice healthy food habits, like fresh fruits. I chose to make the body copy the same color as the overall "feel" of the page because I believe it brought out the pictures more, and helped unify the page. Not many magazines will use anything but black for body copy, but I feel like I used dark enough colors that it would not strain the readers eye or make it difficult to read.

Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. I think the choice of imagery is perfect and the typeface used in the headings works well. However, I would suggest changing the typeface for the body copy in the third layout - it just does not seem to give the correct feel for the given target audience. Also, I would adjust the leading in all the layouts to make the text less crammed and easier to read. The color palette works very well, but maybe not for body copy text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice use of imagery with color. I liked how the images you've selected matched color usage in your layouts. The typography flows with the color you've selected for each page. I wouldn't think this would work, but seeing it first hand, I like it. Your use of color might also assist the reading in knowing what section of the magazine they are reading, utilizing these color cues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carissa – like some others, you have chosen to use Feature Article text and to design feature layouts. So, next week you’ll be working on Department article layouts. Meanwhile, these layouts seem to all share the same heading treatment, in different sizes. I encourage you to find a different approach for each one… otherwise we feel like we are reading chapters in a book rather than articles in a magazine. For this audience, the “out of the box” group… you will need to be more “out of the box” yourself I think. How can you use your pix more creatively? How can images work more closely, and supportively, with the content? Keep thinking… and stretch yourself. The idea of using different body copy is interesting... but a subtle shift in that color might be more successful than a big shift (it will start to look less like an adult publication and more like a young child's publication if the colors I see here are used). Something close to black, but tinted towards brown, green, blue could be what I'm suggesting.

    ReplyDelete