Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Erica Savard - Design Brief & Rework

Hey guys,
I was not in class last week, so I have my design brief below. I got feedback from Coni last week and reworked what I had as needed. I only had to change minor things for each exercise, like incorporating my color pallet and new typefaces.


I extended the article that I used for the spread. my thought on the extension was to bring some elements into the next page to have it coordinate with the spread. Feedback on that would be very helpful. I'm not sure yet how well it works together.
Thanks!


 The other sections are below, but not much has changed.




1 comment:

  1. perfectly. Nice.

    Cover: The large dominant sans serif font for the masthead is softened by the use of the handwritten font for the small word, which tucks nicely into its off-handed placement… again, perfect for your audience. I am still questioning the placement or size of the cut-lines below the hands. Not sure which I’m really questioning… but they seem to challenge the issue theme for prominence. Theme is more important than individual cut-lines. Not sure about the date… although I don’t see a place for it at top... so maybe it’s fine where it is.

    Department: done

    Feature: You may need to cut some type, so you can “sink” the column of body copy under the heading – you could use a bit more negative space there I think. Also, you will need a page folio – on one of the pages which means the quote at bottom needs to move up on the page (again, pushing body copy lines to the next page). Maybe it’s the low res quality of this page, but it seems like that quote disappears into the image of the little boy. If so, I think a simple black crisp (not soft) drop shadow would help that become more readable. Page 3 of this article simply has too much text. How can you chunk what you have left after you cut a paragraph or 2 out – add subheads? Consider sinking the top of the columns… again, it seems a bit cramped up there. Adding negative space under the quote at top will create a more inviting read. Bottom black bar… another quote in here?

    ReplyDelete