Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Brannelly Exercise 3 COVER



As a reminder, my target audience is fitness enthusiasts. I researched fitness magazine covers such as Shape, Fitness, and Women's Health. For my first cover design, I tried to intimidate a traditional fitness magazine cover featuring an athlete in top notch shape. For the second cover, I wanted to play with the idea of promoting healthy eating. For the third design, I wanted to showcase just the food. Which variation do you think works best? For all three designs, I chose to use bold, vertical, sans-serif typefaces for the logotypes and the headings because they showcase modernism, strength, and structure which are all qualities that can be associated with my audience. Most colors were extracted from the images themselves, but the softness of the palette is something I want to continue throughout the magazine because fitness fanatics focus their "diets" on organic, all-natural, healthy foods and this color palette mirrors that lifestyle. The more feedback, the better. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Britt- I really like the third layout. I would make the title a little bigger but i love the bars at the bottom and I really like the future of food part. I think the colors work really well together and I think the photo is appropriate for your audience.

    The photo in layout is very strong is is perfect for your target audience. I don't love the typeface for the title of the magazine. It seems a little soft/weak for image. You're missing the next green revolution on the first layout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany – we spoke in class, and I support your choice of Layout #1 for the cover. I agree with Jehan that Layout #3 is also very strong, but in the end your audience of highly motivated athletes pulls us back to Layout #1 every time.

    The masthead is very contemporary and the alignment of the “I” with the center of the page is fortuitous. I think your cut lines are a bit too close to the edges of the page – and I wonder about the color break decisions for them. Have you tried using the green for the dingbat and black for the type? As I suggest that, I also realize that this cover might be lacking color. Hmmm… what to do. Here is a crazy idea… composite in a different background that includes more color and detail to the bottom of the image. Is she at an urban gym lifting weights, or outside at an Xtreme Fitness ranch in Arizona? The juxtaposition of her body in an unusual setting could push this beyond a successful, but ubiquitous, rack magazine cover design.

    ReplyDelete